That brings me to the topic of this blog post. As you know, Fuji loves peanut butter and is the Peanut Butter Eating Champion of San Antonio.
|Peanut Butter Champion of San Antonio in Action|
Store bought pill pockets = $$$$
I looked around online and found a few recipes with complicated ingredients and found lots of unhelpful suggestions on what to hide the pills in. But I wanted something fast and not messy. Then I found this great, short and sweet recipe. I'll post it as an image here in case you want to share or pin to pinterest:
They work great! Fuji doesn't even chew them, just swallows them whole. Apparently they smell really good because the vultures (ie dogs) came out when I started making them.
You can also make them in larger quantity using the 1:1:2 parts. For example, this amount makes about 30 pockets:
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Flour
- In my experience, dogs prefer whole wheat flour to all-purpose, but they'll eat anything with pb.
- If your dog is allergic to wheat, you can use any kind of other flour you want.
- I like the chunky pb because then your dog won't be able to easily detect the pill forms hiding in the pocket. Although, with Fuji, not a problem since he didn't chew it.
- If your dog is allergic to dairy, you can probably use water.
- Store in the fridge a week or two, or in the freezer for longer.
Very simple ingredients that you'll already have at home. Stores beautifully. No mess. My favorite - Cheap
I give the homemade pill pockets 5 buttons up!
But don't worry too much! Most peanut butters are safe and your dog will love the pill pockets!