Saturday, July 14, 2012

Jack (not Russell Terrier) Cheese

I'm making Jack cheese today.  Not this which is a cheesy Jack Russell Terrier:

JRT


I think I'm getting better at this cheese thing.  My curds were beautiful today!
Cheese curds

And I got to use my cheese press today!!!  Didn't have to use my sand weights yet since this one doesn't require much weight.  But, I will soon.

cheese press

You can see (sort of in this photo) some of the whey draining out (bottom left in pan).

cheese press

I also went to Goodwill and got a little $5 crockpot.  I put my cheese wax in its new home and tried it out
cheese waxcheese wax


I'm melting!
cheese wax

I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out about the Jack cheese.

Update:

Well, I think while I ran to Goodwill to get my cheese wax crockpot, the curds got too hot too fast.  So, the cheese is a bit dry.  But it should still taste good and be edible, just a bit crumbly.  I'm going to wax it as soon as the wax heats up (in an hour or two).

dry cheese



No comments: