Monday, January 21, 2013

Seedlings Update

You saw in my earlier post how to make a seedling incubator using milk jugs and toilet paper rolls.  Here are my beautiful little seedlings yearning to grow!

Planted Jan 10, 2013

Jan 14, 2013
cabbage sprouts
Little cabbage sprouts!

Nothing yet from the sage.
Jan 15, 2013
cabbage seedlings
Cabbage-a-go-go

milk jug toilet paper tube seed incubator
Sage likes to take its time.
 Jan 16, 2013
 Jan 17, 2013

Jan 18, 2013

 Jan 19, 2013
Cabbages, you're so pretty!

What? What's that I see? Little tiny sage babies!
 Jan 20, 2013


Look really close and you can see them!

I only planted 5 tubes that round.
Will add more seeds to stagger harvest soon.

Go little sage, Go!
Also, the pallet garden is almost done.  We ran out of soil, but everything else is ready to go!

Update again:

It's very sad, but my poor little seedlings I started indoors died.  They got long and spindly.  Here's what I learned:

  • Seeds must be 6" from light in the beginning
  • Remove lid after seed sprouts
  • Each day make light farther from plants
  • Harden off plants by exposing them to the outdoors a little at a time
  • Keep them consistently damp with water misting

No comments: