Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Advanced - How to Knit a Hairnet / Snood

Hairnet / Snood knitting patterns
So, it turns out my How to Knit a Hairnet / Snood post is one of my most popular.  I know I reposted the actual pattern from another blog, so I figured I'd enhance my own post by offering different knitting stitches to make fancier hairnets / snoods...
Probably all the experienced knitters out there have heard of Barbara G. Walker, knitting goddess.  I had not heard of her until I stumbled on a seriously cool knitting pattern for a spider.


I know!

It's from her book Chartered Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns (pp34-35 btw). I got the book at the library (of course, being a former librarian), and holy cow, it's fabulous!

In that book alone, there are 350 knitting stitch designs.  She's also got a few other books like it.

I just took 4 designs and knitted up swatches for them.  Some of them I chose are a little tough unless you've done your fair share of knitting.  And even then, it can get a little confusing.

I have not taken the time to figure out how many stitches, etc. to make a hairnet / snood out of them (yet).  I was so excited to share these nice patterns with you.  It'll take me some extra time to create the full hairnet pattern.  In the mean time, maybe you can create one of your own.

For each of them, I cast on 10-11 stitches for my swatches depending on the pattern need.  I used Size 7 straight needles.  You can see a big difference in the some of the sizes of the patterns.  So some will require more stitches than others.

I recommend making swatches and/or doing practice rows of these until you get it.  It is highly likely there is at least one error in each of my swatches.

Tranquility Stitch

Tranquility Knitting Stitch
Tranquility Stitch Wrong Side

For some reason I really liked this one, maybe it's the name.  It also looks good on the wrong or right side.

Cast on: 10
Row 1 (RS): *yo, sl 1-k1-pss0 * repeat from * (reduces by half original # stitches)
(yeah, that sound complicated, so here's a youtube video on how to do it.)
Tranquility Stitch Right Side
Row 2 (WS):* Insert right-hand needle from right to left behind the strand lying diagonally across the base of first st on left-hand needle; pick up this strand, place it on the left-hand needle and purl it; then purl the first st itself; rep from * (restores to original # stitches, sorry, no youtube yet)

Repeat Rows 1 and 2

Now looking at the picture in the book and the one in the photo, I'm not all that sure I did it right.  But I still like it!

Open Basketweave Mesh

Open Basketweave Mesh
Open Basketweave Mesh
I just thought this one was so pretty and that it'd make a great snood.

Cast on: 11 stitches
Row 1 (RS): K1, * yo, RT; rep from *
Row 2: P1, p2 tog, p1; rep from *
Row 3: LT, * yo, LT; rep from *
Row 4: P2, * p2 tog, p1; rep from * end p1
Repeat Rows 1-4

RT= Right Twist: k2 tog, leave on needle, then insert right-hand needle between the sts just knitted tog, and knit the first st again; then sl both sts from left-hand needle

LT= Left Twist: skip 1 st and knit the 2nd st in back loop, then k2 tog-b (the skipped st and the knit st); sl both sts from needle together.

Ah, youtube, did you ever know that you're my hero? Right and Left Twist video

Delayed-Decrease Eyelet Mesh

I think this is Delayed-Decrease Eyelet Mesh
Cast on: 11
Rows 1 and 3 (WS): Purl
Row 2: * K2, yo; rep from *; k1
Row 4: K1, *yo, sl 2-k1-p2sso; rep from *
Repeat Rows 1-4

If you did the Tranquility Stitch, then this one's not so bad (and vice versa).  If not, I recommend youtube to help you out.  This one has a cool English accent.

Well, I forgot to label my swatches.  I figured, oh, I'll be able to tell them apart. Hmm, I think I've got the right photo to pattern.  Ah well, they both look nice anyway.

Honeycomb Lace

That one has a nice name.  Don't you think?

Probably Honeycomb Lace
Row 1 (RS): * K2, (yo) twice; rep from * end k1
Row 2: * P2tog; rep from *, end p1
Row 3: K1, * (yo) twice, k2; rep from *
Row 4: P1, * p2 tog; rep from *
Repeat Rows 1-4


If you're new to knitting and need some help on all the abbreviations,  knittinghelp.com is a good site to use, or just google it all.

Perhaps, neck willing, I'll be able to actually make the full hairnet and post directions one day.  Until then, have fun playing with yarn!

No comments: