In celebration of his big day, I made pupcakes, or more aptly, pupcrack.
I've brought these pupcakes dog treats to dog events with the Nature Hounds, and they disappear. Dogs go crazy for them!
They're pretty easy peasy to make, too. Just be sure you have the right ingredients hanging around your kitchen.
- 1 large apple, cored and minced or shredded
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or whatever you have)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 T honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheese
2. Grease or use non-stick spray to coat muffin pans (Note: I like to use one regular sized muffin pan and one mini muffin pan for different sized dogs)
Normally I would tell you to mix your dry ingredients separate from your wet ingredients together for optimal rising. I'm pretty sure that Fuji doesn't care.
3. So, throw it all in a bowl and mix or stir.
For regular muffins, I would advise against overworking the mixture, but Fuji doesn't really care if they're tough or not. I doubt that they will even get chewed, mostly they will be swallowed whole.
4. Then, spoon or ladle the batter into your muffin pans. It yields enough for 1 dozen mini and 1 dozen regular muffins.
5. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes for the mini muffins, and 17 minutes for the regular muffins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Frosting - you can make frosting out of whatever strikes your pooch's fancy, but it's a bit messy. Since it's Fuji's birthday and all, I'm going to coat one (ok, maybe 2) pupcakes with peanut butter. Fuji thinks that would make pupcakes more fun.
I think having a pan like this would make the pupcakes so much more fun!
Fuji also says, don't forget to let him lick the bowl!
I gave the dogs some and now they're begging and howling to get more. I'd better go put them away. Here's some photos and videos that will keep you entertained.
The peanut butter stuck to the roof of Fuji's mouth. That was extra fun!
And Spec's mouth too. He's got to be like big brother!
Fuji gives pupcakes 5 buttons up.